So, here's a real challenge for you: join me and go sugar-free for the month of January.
Begin by checking out where the easy-to-find sugar is lurking in your everyday foods.
- Anything sweet is clearly to be avoided, so sweets, desserts, energy bars and sugar in drinks are out! You may also want to eliminate dried fruit and juices as these are high in sugar too.
- Check through store-bought foods, particularly jars, many of which will contain sugar in surprisingly high quantities. Chuck them out, if you have the nerve.
- Don't be tempted to replace sugary foods with ones laden with artificial sweeteners instead; these manmade substitutes can also play havoc with our metabolism.
- Limit your fruit intake to a couple of pieces a day: apples are best.
- Replace sugary drinks and alcohol with herb teas and plain sparkling or still water.
- Enjoy root vegetables which are naturally sweet, along with roasted or steamed pumpkin for a natural sweet hit.
- I'll be posting some more tips over the next few days! Follow me to keep notified (see box below right).