Namaste

Welcome to my blog, with news of my wellbeing practice in Suffolk. Also my exercise classes and cooking workshops, some views on events and happenings locally and abroad....and more.....
To receive email updates directly into your Inbox, insert your email address in box on the right.

Trish Dent


Tuesday 12 March 2013

Wild Ferments

A group of us enjoyed a fabulous cooking class last Saturday. The focus was on fermenting foods for ourselves, at home. The value of fermented foods is not to be underestimated.  This is the best way to populate your gut with healthy bacteria that will boost your immune system and guard against disease. And they provide more vitamin C and a selection of B vitamins than the raw veggies themselves. True to form, my camera decided to die as I was about to take the first photo, so here's one I took earlier of a double red and white cabbage sauerkraut ferment and, on the right, is my fab salad press that does the equivalent of a "quick press/ferment"; it's pressing cabbage and carrots.  We sampled fiery kimchi, fermented spelt and almond crackers, kefir cheese, turnip and radish pickles and more. Then we cooked a lunch of tempeh stew with mushrooms, sauteed veggies, millet mash and a pressed salad with miso dressing.  I'm not going to tell you about the desserts, other than one featured leftover (fermented) porridge which transformed into a yummy pud.   It was definitely the best thing to be doing on a very rainy Saturday.