1-2cm piece of Horseradish root, peeled
Horseradish or vine leaf
3-4 tsp sea salt
500ml filtered water
- Cut the cauliflower into florets. Finely slice the soft stem part to include in your ferment (full of nutrition).
- Cut the horseradish root into matchsticks.
- Place a horseradish or vine leaf into the bottom of a clean 500-600ml glass jar. This is not an essential ingredient but helps keep the cauliflower crunchy.
- Press the cauliflower florets and stem into the jar, sprinkling with the horseradish as you go. Leave a good 3-4 cm space at the top of the jar.
- Make a 3 to 4% brine mix with the sea salt and water.
- Pour the brine solution over the cauliflower to cover well. Place a leaf or weight on top to prevent the florets from rising above the brine surface. Put the lid on but do not screw down tight, so gas can escape.
- Leave to ferment at 13-18 deg C for about 3 days. Taste and place in the fridge or a cool place where it should keep for several months, if it's not eaten before that time.